Nationally Ranked University
Emory University is a nationally ranked No. 21 by U.S. News and World Report, and our Nell Hodgson Woodruff School of Nursing is ranked No. 2 among master's programs. Emory’s thriving community of researchers, scholars, and clinicians makes an impact in Atlanta and across the globe.
Internationally Recognized Faculty
The School of Nursing’s faculty impacts lives worldwide—through our research enterprise—and in the classroom. Our faculty include:
- 42 fellows of the American Academy of Nursing
- 2 members of the Institute of Medicine
- 4 fellows of the American College of Nurse-Midwives
- 13 fellows of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners
- 1 Georgia Professor of the Year Award winner
- 5 Sigma Theta Tau Nurse Researcher Hall of Fame inductees
Clinical Collaborations with a Difference
With strong ties to leading health care research and clinical sites in the Atlanta area and around the world, our students have the opportunity to train in more than 500 clinical sites across the US including Emory Healthcare, Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta, the Atlanta VA Medical Center, and more.
And at Emory, you don’t need to coordinate your own clinical placement. Our clinical affairs team takes care of it for you and at no cost, freeing you up to learn and gain experience.
Access to Atlanta
Our students can take advantage of Atlanta, a global city and the business, technology, and health care center of the Southeast. The city offers countless opportunities for research, clinical experience, and employment, enhancing our students’ nursing education. Forbes named Atlanta the No. 1 spot for graduates to live and work.
Supportive Learning Environment
At Emory School of Nursing, we’re known for a strong student-professor connection and a collaborative approach to learning. This learning environment benefits our students, and it makes for a close-knit community. We also offer free peer tutoring to all degree-seeking students within the School of Nursing.
Service Learning Strength
Our curriculum emphasizes service learning, a teaching method that incorporates community service. Take a look at the many ways our students learn by doing.
- Our Lillian Carter Center for Global Health and Social Responsibility has engaged in educational and research programs in more than 107 countries since 2001.
- Yearly, more than 30 faculty and 45% student population travel to the Dominican Republic, the Bahamas, Peru, Haiti, California, Moultrie, Georgia, and Jamaica through the Immersion Experience to offer nursing care to vulnerable populations and conduct critical research.
- We have implemented a Virtual experience to California, Haiti, the Dominican Republic, and Peru to be offered in the Spring or Summer.
- On average, each student participates in 29 hours of community care each year.
- Since 1994, our students have treated more than 15,000 farm workers and their families through the Farm Worker Family Health Program in Moultrie, Georgia.
- The recent restructuring of The Lillian Carter Center has incorporated Global Engagement and Global Research to our Center, which will make a robust global impact with students, faculty, and staff.
Global Health Insight
Emory nursing students gain a global perspective through our extensive study abroad and travel education opportunities through our Lillian Carter Center for Global Health and Social Responsibility. The Lillian Carter Center for Global Health and Social Responsibility offers global nursing programs for Emory nursing students, providing experience working with underserved populations around the world. During the next decade, the center’s goal is to become an international model for integrating service learning and social responsibility into school curricula and research programs.
Strategic priorities include:
- Increasing global health nursing research
- Expanding student awareness of global health issues
- Enhancing the visibility of community partners
- Increasing collaborations with academic global health programs at Emory and beyond
- Offering at least one global experience for every student