Fuld Service Learning Fellowship
The Fuld Fellowship for Service Learning provides a half-tuition scholarship for Accelerated BSN+MSN students who have a special commitment to social responsibility as a component of professional nursing practice. Candidates should have a prior history of social responsibility activities and have definitive plans to work with under-served populations in the United States or abroad. Students interested in this option will be asked to write an essay as part of the application; finalists may be interviewed by a selection committee. The Fuld Fellowship provides for 50% tuition to cover four (4) semester of baccalaureate program and four (4) semester of the masters program.
The studies and experiences of Fuld Fellows are further defined through the school's social responsibility programs such as the Farm Worker Family Health Program and Alternative Winter and Spring Break Trips. These and other opportunities for the Fuld Fellows are coordinated through the Lillian Carter Center for Global Health & Social Responsibility. After graduation, Fuld Fellows will re-enter their careers as master's prepared nurses with a deep working knowledge of health issues for vulnerable people in the U.S. and internationally, coupled with a strong sense of direction and mission for realistically addressing these problems.
The Fuld Fellowships are made possible through a grant from the Helene Fuld Health Trust.
2014-2015 Fuld Social Responsibility Fellows
Ashley is an ABSN student participating in the Pediatric Nurse Practitioner program. She is the data manager for the Diabetes Prevention Program for Indians working with 68 project sites. Ashley is a principal investigator with the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science at Denver Children's Hospital. In addition, she formerly served as the Vice President and Service Coordinator for the Honors and Leadership program at the University of Colorado.
Rubi is an ABSN student participating in the Family Nurse Practitioner program. She works at the NIH Academy Fellow Office of Intramural Training and Education where she designs, plans, and implements her own community organization project in Washington, D.C. In addition, Rubi is the post-baccalaureate clinical researcher at the NIH Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Development.
Rubi is an ABSN student participating in the Family Nurse Practitioner program. She is a research associate and project manager with the Population Research Center at the University of Texas-Austin and a Fellow with Vittana (located in Peru), where she conducts market research and launched a student loan program.
Applications must be submitted by December 1, 2014.
- Must be an Accelerated BSN + MSN (ABSN + MSN) student who has demonstrated a special commitment to scholarship, leadership and social responsibility as a component of professional nursing practice
- Available to students who can reasonably return to school with only financial support from the Fellowship program
- Must write an essay and possibly participate in an interview by a selection committee
- Have a GPA of 3.5 of above (the average GPA of previous recipients is a 3.71)
- GRE score of at least a 310 (the average GRE score of previous recipients is a 318)
Recipients of the Fuld Social Responsibility Fellowship are expected to:
- Spend additional time on Fuld Fellowship interdisciplinary seminars and activities
- Remain committed to leadership activities related to social responsibility
- Share their experiences with others in the School
- Complete a MSN degree at Emory University
- Demonstrate to the profession and the broader public a fine example of nursing leadership and engagement in socially responsible nursing
For questions or additional information about the Fuld Social Responsibility Fellowship, please contact:
Dr. Angela Amar